hoops n : a game played on a court by two opposing teams of 5 players; points are scored by throwing the basketball through an elevated horizontal hoop [syn: basketball, basketball game]
- Rhymes: -uːps
- third-person singular of hoop
A hoop is an object in the form of a circular band (resembling a geometrical torus or toroid). Hoops are made of various materials in various sizes for various uses:
- hoop skirts are constructed with hoops to hold the fabric of the garment away from the wearer's legs in a fashionable shape
- hoop rolling is an ancient game played with a hoop
- The Hoop is one apparatus in Rhythmic Gymnastics
- Hooping is the modern subculture revolving around hoopdance, or dancing with a hoop
- A hula hoop is a toy, typically made of plastic, twirled around the waist of its user whose hips must gyrate in a manner similar to some forms of hula dancing in order to keep the hoop aloft
- In croquet, a hoop of sturdy metal wire planted in the ground forms the wicket through which the balls must pass
The term Hoop may refer to:
- A way in which street drugs can be consumed, particularly Ecstasy and Methamphetamine, by inserting them into the anus.
- A person's rear end in (Dublin slang).
- The general witterings of a disgruntled person ad nauseam. (Dublin Slang) e.g. Garrett was a bit infuriated and started talking hoop.
- Hoop Schwartz, a character from Stroker and Hoop, an american animated television series.
- Hoop (magazine), an American basketball magazine
- "Hoops", a music single by the band Ruby
The term hoops may refer to:
The term Hoops may refer to:
- Hoops a basketball game set in the slums for the Nintendo Entertainment System back in the early 1990s.
- the game of basketball (due to the fact that metal hoops, or baskets, are used for the goals at which players shoot the ball)
- the players (or supporters) of Celtic F.C. or Shamrock Rovers F.C. (derived from the pattern of green and white horizontal stripes on the shirts traditionally worn by the team)
- a style of shirt in football, characterised by horizontal stripes that typically encircle the torso and sleeves
- Hula Hoops, a snack food popular in Britain made of potato crisps in the shape of hoops
- HOOPS, a software component produced by Tech Soft 3D.
- Hoops&Yoyo, are a pair of animated characters featured on Hallmark Cards.